Are you a fan of superheroes such as Captain America and Iron Man? There is a cultural and media expectation that men be strong like superheroes, rarely show signs of weakness. Also, men always feel that they cannot share more about their health or emotions and they prefer to battle on by their own.
It is time to reverse this trend and start to create a cultural shift in which men do not feel embarrassed to share more about their health concerns. Here are a 4 men’s health facts you may not be aware of.
1. Inactive men are more likely to suffer from depression than those active men.
- Exercise has been shown in studies to be an effective treatment for mild to moderate depression. It helps in the production of neurotransmitters such as serotonin, norepinephrine, dopamine and endorphins which can make you feel energized, happy and motivated. It is time to reverse this trend and start to create a cultural shift in which men do not feel embarrassed to share more about their health concerns. Here are a 4 men’s health facts you may not be aware of.
2. Men who sleep 5 hours or less a night are more likely to have a fatal heart attack than men who sleep 7-8 hours a night
- Insufficient or fragmented sleep can contribute to blood pressure issues and increase the risk of heart disease, heart attacks, and stroke.
3. Men who consume more than 10 alcoholic drinks per week nearly double their risk of developing type 2 diabetes
- Men who have 4 to 10 drinks a week have a lower risk of getting type 2 diabetes. Alcohol contains a huge amount of calories. Heavy drinking can increase the risk of becoming overweight and decrease the body’s sensitivity to insulin, both of which can lead to type 2 diabetes.
4. Men who smoke can be expected to lose 12 teeth by the age of 72.
- When you smoke, you expose your teeth to both tobacco and nicotine. As a result, stained, yellow teeth, bad breath and gum diseases are likely to happen. Gum diseases can wreak havoc on the bone structure that supports your teeth. It may make your teeth fall out in severe cases.
Only 30% of a man’s overall health is determined by genetics, with the remaining 70% controllable through a healthy diet and lifestyle. We all know that most men make less healthy food choices in the kitchen. But, it is time for men to take a cue from women who usually consume more fruits and vegetables.
- Dietrich, T., Walter, C., Oluwagbemigun, K., Bergmann, M., Pischon, T., Pischon, N. and Boeing, H., 2015. Smoking, smoking cessation, and risk of tooth loss: the EPIC-Potsdam study. Journal of dental research, 94(10), pp.1369-1375.
- Lee, D.Y., Yoo, M.G., Kim, H.J., Jang, H.B., Kim, J.H., Lee, H.J. and Park, S.I., 2017. Association between alcohol consumption pattern and the incidence risk of type 2 diabetes in Korean men: a 12-years follow-up study. Scientific reports, 7(1), pp.1-7.